Monday, December 1, 2014

Birthday Party, by Patricia A. Burden



When I opened my mailbox on February 15, 2014, there was an oversized jade-green envelope waiting. My name and address was written in calligraphy. I did not recognize the return address, although it was a Livonia, Michigan, one. It was mailed with a forty-two cent dove stamp.  Anticipation was my name as I eagerly tore the envelope’s top flap opened. Before my eyes was a five-point star dressed with gold, green and red sparkling glitter. The multi colors of glitter seemed to dance and bounce before my eyes like a kaleidoscope.

As I opened the two-fold envelope, the left side caught my attention first. The big red letters read, “Patricia, you are invited to a surprise birthday celebration.” The next line gave the time and date. The celebration was on Saturday, March 18, 2014, at 7:00 p.m. It was for invitees only; no children allowed. The location was not yet revealed. On the right side of the invitation, the page was designed with a red birthday-cake border. The words to the song “Happy birthday” were repeated for two lines, and “We wish you many, many more.” It also gave instructions that each person in attendance should be prepared to say a few words to the guest of honor, and that we could talk for only one minute. It would be a keepsake DVD presentation for the guest of honor. The invitation read, “Come ready to dance to the music of DJ Mr. Get down Tonight. Dress casual, but please, no jeans or gym shoes.” As a side note, it mentioned that a full meal appropriate for vegans and non-vegans would be served, along with alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. There was a telephone number to RSVP. It asked that this be done before March 10, 2014, and to leave a voicemail message, along with a telephone number where I could be reached. I made my RSVP phone call right then. In return for my RSVP, I received a voice message that I would receive a telephone call telling me of the party’s location. I still did not know who the party was for or who was giving the party.

I needed a new outfit. I thought a sexy, low-cut, waist-hugging, curve-fitting black wool crepe dress would be awesome. I had a nice pair of broken-in red high heel shoes that I could wear with it. This is the occasion where I could wear my diamond rings and earrings. I would go to the hair salon the day of the party. Not knowing if the party was for a female or male, I found it easy to buy a gift. I would put a $50.00 Macy’s gift card in a colorful “Happy Birthday” card.

On March 14, 2014, I received a voicemail message telling me that the party would be at the Kool Club, which is an elegant place for a birthday party. In the next few weeks, my main thoughts were about the birthday party. I was excited, but none of my friends talked about the birthday party. When I asked them if they were going to the party, they would all ask, “What party?”  Maybe I was the chosen one. I began to follow the seven-day weather forecast. The report was somewhat encouraging: one day rain, the next day sunshine, and a winter storm was forecasted. I kept my fingers crossed that March 18 would be a sunny, bright day, at least until one o’clock a.m.; I would be home from the party by then. 

The day arrived; it was a bright sunny day, not a cloud in the sky, and not windy. It was predicted that the temperature would be a high of forty-eight degrees. I started humming “Happy Birthday” and prancing around my apartment while I was dressing. I could wear my red opened-toed shoes, adorn my black, low-cut dress with my light-weight leopard could. I was going to look fabulous. My new hairstyle was protected from being windblown, but the air was still.

I looked good in my new black dress. I had a new hairstyle that revealed my diamond earrings. My red, open-toed shoes fit perfectly. I was sure I could keep them on and dance the night away.  I was prepared to give a happy birthday generic birthday message.

Walking up to the Kool Club, I was met with a marquee sign with blinking lights that said, “Happy birthday to a special person born on March 18th.” My eyes were mesmerized as I entered the club. It was beautiful. There was a red runway carpet with happy birthday logos strewn along the way. There were footprints that led into the club. I thought I must be too early. I was the only one there, along with the bartender. I got a drink and sat down at a pub table near the food table. The wall clock indicated that it was 6:59 p.m. I wondered if I got the date and time wrong. I almost panicked. 

Then, at 7:00 p.m. exactly, the DJ played “Happy Birthday,” and about 100 people jumped from everywhere and sang, “Happy Birthday to You.” I looked around and wondered who they were singing to. Loud voices in unison yelled out, “Surprise!”

My best girlfriend and my significant other appeared in front of me with a bouquet of roses and a stemmed glass decorated with my name in gold letters. They had sponsored the party. My friends formed a line and wished me happy birthday. I was shocked. I had forgotten that March 18th was my birthday. I was in tears, but they were happy ones.

The music played, and I danced with males and females. My red shoes did not fail me. My feet did not hurt at all. The food was elaborate. There was shrimp, lobster, petite filet mignons and oven-fried chicken, lots and lots of salads, rolls and butter. They were served on white china plates. The two-tiered vanilla iced cake was decorated with a red “Happy Birthday” and three-inch green candles. It was a first-class event. I was so glad I was invited.

The event was scheduled to end at 12:00 p.m., which was the time for me to say a few words.  The DJ agreed to let me use his microphone. With wobbly knees and my decorated stemmed glass in hand, I stood before my friends and sang to them a song that I made up as I went along. I exhorted them with the words, “Many, many thanks to each of you for caring about me; many, many thanks to each of you for sharing your time with me; many, many thanks for the gifts you gave me. And I hope that you had a wonderful time. I did. Please, before you leave, sign the guest book. It is on the table where I am sitting. Be safe.” The song was to a Rod Stewart song, “Having a Party.”

The lights were turned down low. I took off my red shoes, danced the last song with my significant other, and kissed him goodnight. This was my best birthday. I will always remember it. The surprise was on me.


1 comment:

  1. What a crazy surprise, Patricia! You really build up the suspense and sense of anticipation. I like the descriptions about the black, wool, crepe dress; red, high-heel shoes; the red runway carpet. You make those images pop.

    ReplyDelete