Monday, December 1, 2014

Seasonal Affair, by Katelyn Tarrant



A small town is surrounded by fresh water, about four hours north of where we are now. It’s well-known to most, but to me, it feels like the middle of nowhere. The seasons change quickly, almost as if in one blink of an eye, we will miss one completely. But this season stays; it draws people from all over the country to see its beautiful colors.

Driving up and down the roads on the peninsula, I look left. I see oranges, reds, greens, and yellows, and turning to the right, I see the same thing. The leaves at this point are intact on the trees, waving in the wind, not yet ready to let go and float slowly to the ground. It’s peaceful, breathtaking, and yet magical, too.

People come from all over the world to see this, and I used to see it almost every day. It’s a scene I have taken advantage of many times, but now that it is out of my reach, I have become sentimental and long to see those beautiful trees yet again. As much as I know that a visit will happen, it’s just not the same as seeing it with my own eyes, every morning, exploring the woods with it nearly every day. But with such a gorgeous sight, I will take what I can get.

Melinda: “ Nature is an amazing thing.”

Katelyn: “It’s the most spectacular time of the year, distracts me from the impending snowfall.”

1 comment:

  1. I also love going up north in the fall, Katelyn. The leaves are so brilliant; they look like they're swollen with light. And I agree that sometimes we have to leave to appreciate what we left behind.

    ReplyDelete